Mechanism of action
High water cut can occur under various production conditions, such as moving oil-water contacts causing water coning and breakthrough, watered out layers or cross-flow in multi-layered reservoirs, or altered relative permeability. Washed out MONTAGELTM BP 50 consists of colloidal particles of acrylamide-based polymers crosslinked with organic covalent crosslinkers.
In these environments, MONTAGELTM BP 50 microgels, once placed in the formation, are swollen by the water present in the formation pore space, and adsorb onto the rock surface.
Thereafter the microgel collapses under capillary pressure, with the water entrapped. The result is that the relative permeability of water decreases, allowing for oil flow. Relative permeability changes are also stable over a long period of time.
Main characteristics of MONTAGELTM BP 50 are:
- Narrow size controlled distribution
- Excellent thermal (up to 165°C) and chemical resistance
- Non-toxic and comply with OSPAR regulation
- Water soluble
- Not affected by parameters such as pH or presence of electrolytes
- Good injectivity and depth of propagation