Zinc is an essential mineral, involved in various biological pathways.
DESCOTE® ZINC OXIDE 50% is a source of zinc oxide which is microencapsulated in a lipid matrix, thanks to DESCOTE® proprietary technology.
The lipid matrix of the DESCOTE® is made of vegetable oil that is now RSPO certified, to ensure a sustainable oil supply.
DESCOTE® ZINC OXIDE 50% provides multiple benefits.
- Ease of use: better material flowability and compressibility
- Improved stability: barrier protection from water, heat and interaction with other ingredients
- Solvent-free process: no solvent is used during the process, not even water
- Uniformity: the active is uniformly distributed in the lipid matrix
- Multiple galenics: the ingredient is hydro dispersible, allowing for use in tablets, capsules, powder sticks, protein mixes...
- Bioavailability: Optimal bioavailability is a challenge for mineral ingredients, in order to maximise absorption and to limit potential side effects. The lipid matrix of the DESCOTE® range helps solubilization and absorption of poorly soluble actives, such as zinc. Indeed, the cell membrane is organized in an hydrophobic lipid bilayer, facilitating the entrance of active substances from matrices of hydrophobic nature, such as the one of DESCOTE®.
- Taste masking: Supplements containing zinc can bring an unpleasant astringent taste. The vegetable fatty acid matrix of DESCOTE® ZINC OXIDE 50% only starts to break down in the acidulous media of the stomach, thus avoiding the unpleasant taste.
- No teeth-staining: DESCOTE® ZINC OXIDE 50% can also be used with chewable forms for which, in addition to taste masking, the lipid matrix prevents teeth-staining and potential color transfer to the oral cavity during mastication, a common problem with minerals.
Zinc, health & beauty*
Zinc is very well known for its role in immune health and benefits from the approved health claim in the EU: “Zinc contributes to the normal function of the immune system”.
But zinc also has other approved health claims in the EU, making it an ideal ingredient for beauty supplements:
- Zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal skin
- Zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal hair
- Zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal nails
- Zinc contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress
which you can use with a low dose of DESCOTE® ZINC OXIDE 50%.*The claim may be used only for food which is at least a source of zinc as referred to in the claim SOURCE OF [NAME OF VITAMIN/S] AND/OR [NAME OF MINERAL/S] as listed in the Annex to Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006.
Particle Dynamics International LLC is an American company with strong expertise in encapsulated products and specialty ingredients for the pharmaceutical and nutritional industries.